Here’s a secret recipe that you will only find if you are one of my treasured subscribers.
The inspiration for this came after I made the Gratin of Haddock.
You could easily prepare this pastry, then make your Gratin on top and voila, Warm Haddock Quiche for a Brunch with friends, a simple Summer dinner or a warming Autumnal lunch.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes (plus 30 minutes to chilll)
Cooking Time: 15 minutes to blind bake, then 15-25 minutes to cook with filling.
- 3 tbsp coconut oil or butter, as you prefer
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- 1 tsp kuzu, crushed til smooth in a pestle and mortar
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp xylitol
- 1 tsp nutmeg
if you are making this for a sweet dish, you could also add a whole tbsp of xylitol and replace the nutmeg with cinnamon.
- Preheat your oven to 150°
- While it’s preheating, in your quiche dish, melt the coconut oil or butter with the xylitol.
- Remove from the oven and stir in the flour, kuzu, salt and nutmeg.
- Combine them all very well, making sure it’s really homogenising and there are no lumps.
- Spread out using the back of your spoon, pushing it out flat and carefully up the edges of your dish all the way around, into the final shape you’d like.
- Place in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
- Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes at 150°, then remove the foil, add your filling and cook for a further 25 minutes at the same heat, or if the filling requires a higher heat, you can cook for a further 15 minutes at a moderate oven heat.
- Allow to cool for at least ten minutes before serving to allow the pastry to set.
Enjoy this simple, tasty and crispy gluten free pastry.